[R] Query about calculating the monthly average of daily data columns

Subhamitra Patra @ubh@m|tr@@p@tr@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 13 10:08:10 CEST 2019

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Yes, your suggested code worked. But, actually, I have data from 3rd
January 1994 to 3rd August 2017 for very large (i.e. for 84 countries)
sample. From this, I have given the example of the years up to 2000. Before
applying the same code for the long 24 years, I want to learn the logic
behind the code. Actually, some part of the code is not understandable to
me which I mentioned in the bold letter as follows.

"spdat<-data.frame(
  dates=paste(c(1:30,1:28),c(rep(1,30),rep(2,28)),rep(1994,58),sep="-"),
  returnA=sample(*15:50*,58,TRUE),returnB=sample(*10:45*,58,TRUE))"

A. Here, I need to define the no. of days in a month, and the no. of
countries name separately, right? But, what is meant by 15:50, and 10:45 in
return A, and B respectively?

"# if you only have to get the monthly averages, it can be done this way
spdat$month<-sapply(strsplit(spdat$dates,"-"),"["*,2*)
spdat$year<-sapply(strsplit(spdat$dates,"-"),"[",*3*)"

B. Here, I need to define the no. of months, and years separately, right?
or else what 2, and 3 (in bold) indicates?

"# get the averages by month and year - is this correct?
monthlyA<-by(*spdat$returnA*,spdat[,c("month","year")],mean)
monthlyB<-by(*spdat$returnB*,spdat[,c("month","year")],mean)"

C. From this part, I got the exact average values of both January and
February of 1994 for country A, and B. But, in code, I have a query that I
need to define  spdat$returnA, and  spdat$returnB separately before writing
this code, right? Like this, I need to define for each 84 countries
separately with their respective number of months, and years before writing
this code, right?

Yes, after obtaining the monthly average for each country's data, I need to
use them for further calculations. So, I want to export the result to
excel. But, until understanding the code, I think I willn't able to apply
for the entire sample, and cannot be able to discuss the format of the
resulted column to export to excel.

Therefore, kindly help me to understand the code.

Thank you very much, Sir, and thanks to this R forum for helping the
R-beginners.

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by