[R] Query about calculating the monthly average of daily data columns

Jim Lemon drj|m|emon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 12 23:45:19 CEST 2019

Hi Subhamitra,
Your data didn't make it through, so I guess the first thing is to
guess what it looks like. Here's a try at just January and February of
1994 so that we can see the result on the screen. The logic will work
just as well for the whole seven years.

# create fake data for the first two months
spdat<-data.frame(
 dates=paste(c(1:30,1:28),c(rep(1,30),rep(2,28)),rep(1994,58),sep="-"),
 returnA=sample(15:50,58,TRUE),returnB=sample(10:45,58,TRUE))
# I'll assume that the dates in your file are character, not factor
spdat$dates<-as.character(spdat$dates)
# if you only have to get the monthly averages, it can be done this way
spdat$month<-sapply(strsplit(spdat$dates,"-"),"[",2)
spdat$year<-sapply(strsplit(spdat$dates,"-"),"[",3)
# get the averages by month and year - is this correct?
monthlyA<-by(spdat$returnA,spdat[,c("month","year")],mean)
monthlyB<-by(spdat$returnB,spdat[,c("month","year")],mean)

Now you have what you say you want:

monthlyA
month: 1
year: 1994
[1] 34.1
month: 2
year: 1994
[1] 33.32143

monthlyB
month: 1
year: 1994
[1] 29.7
month: 2
year: 1994
[1] 27.28571

Sorry I didn't use a loop (for(month in 1:12) ... for (year in
1994:2000) ...), too lazy.
Now you have to let us know how this information is to be formatted to
go into Excel. Excel will import the text as above, but I think you
want something that you can use for further calculations.

Jim