[R] Parallel processes collapse into one

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 6 00:11:51 CEST 2019

> I have written an R package to collect some functions to run simulations
> for a research project. Main functions are written in C and make use of
> BLAS routines, such as dsymm, dgemm, and ddot. I run simulations in
> parallel by using mclapply and the problem is that after some point all R
> instances collapse into one: R seems to be running, but simulations do not
> progress further. If I run simulations on 16 cores I end up having an R
> instance with CPU usage about 1600%, never experienced such a behaviour.

This is outside my area.
However, my suggestion is that you provide a *minimal reproducible* example.
I think you're more likely to get responses.

Also note that there's an R mailing list for high performance computing,
however, it doesn't appear to be very active, so I'm not sure which is the
best mailing list to use.
Maybe someone else can comment on this...?