[R] Parallel processes collapse into one

Nicola Lunardon n|co|@@|un@rdon@84 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jun 3 06:37:46 CEST 2019

I have written an R package to collect some functions to run simulations
for a research project. Main functions are written in C and make use of
BLAS routines, such as dsymm, dgemm, and ddot. I run simulations in
parallel by using mclapply and the problem is that after some point all R
instances collapse into one: R seems to be running, but simulations do not
progress further. If I run simulations on 16 cores I end up having an R
instance with CPU usage about 1600%, never experienced such a behaviour.

sessionInfo()
R version 3.6.0 (2019-04-26)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /usr/lib/openblas-base/libblas.so.3
LAPACK: /usr/lib/libopenblasp-r0.2.18.so