[R] read

Fri Aug 9 04:51:49 CEST 2019

Assuming your actual case is a file containing those characters, your example R string has to quote them. However, it seems like you want to disable interpreting quotes while you read this file.

vld<-read.table(text=
"name prof
  A      '4.5
  B       \"3.2
  C       5.5 "
,header=TRUE,quote="")

(The escape character isn't really there.)