[R] Recoding variables in R

William Dunlap wdun|@p @end|ng |rom t|bco@com
Wed May 23 19:14:09 CEST 2018

It looks like your data has class "factor".  If you call factor() on a
factor variable, without supplying an explicit 'levels' argument it
produces a new factor variable without any levels not present in the input
factor.  E.g.,

> fOrig <- factor(c(NA,"A","B","D",NA,"D"), levels=c("D","C","B","A"))
> summary(fOrig)
   D    C    B    A NA's
   2    0    1    1    2
> fNew <- factor(fOrig)
> summary(fNew)
   D    B    A NA's
   2    1    1    2

You can use levels(fNew) <- c("delta","beta","alpha") to give the levels
new names.

I think that renaming "0", "2", "3"  to "0","1","2" will lead to
confusion.  The levels
are just names, so give them names that mean something to a human, like
"control",
"streptomycin (2 mg/kg)", etc.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 3:14 AM, Lisa van der Burgh <lisavdburgh using hotmail.com