[R] OT --- grammar.

JRG |oe@|jrg @end|ng |rom @ccucom@net
Mon Jun 25 02:16:24 CEST 2018

On 06/24/2018 08:03 PM, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Ted, et. al.:
>
> Re: "Data is" vs "data are" ... Heh heh!
>
> "This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."
> (Attributed to Churchill in one form or another, likely wrongly.)
>
> See here for some semi-authoritative dicussion:
>
> http://www.onlinegrammar.com.au/top-10-grammar-myths-data-is-plural-so-must-take-a-plural-verb/

Hmmm.  "semi-authoritative or not", the 1980 Edition of the Oxford
American dictionary says:

"data (day-ta) n. pl. facts or information ...  'Data' should not be
used with a singular verb, as in 'the data is inconclusive'; it is by
origin a Latin plural (the singular is 'datum') and should be used with
a plural verb. ..."

Interesting how Latin seemed to have changed in the past 40 or so years.

---JRG

John R. Gleason