[R] A couple of batch mode questions

Eric Berger er|cjberger @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 25 19:28:01 CEST 2018

Some additional comments that might be relevant to people interested in
these topics.

1. For R scripts you should also consider the package littler developed by
Dirk Eddelbuettel, Highly recommended.
For info http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/littler.html or the github
repository.

2. Scripts can be useful both for short calculations, extending the shell,
or for large R jobs that are not interactive and can run unsupervised.
e.g. I have a script that is run automatically on a daily schedule. It
performs a number of calculations and updates a database with the results.

3. When creating a large-ish R project that will run as a script, I still
break the task into smaller tasks which are implemented as R scripts which
are source()'ed into the batch job.
The smaller R scripts are usually developed and debugged in an interactive
environment, such as RStudio.

Best,
Eric