[R] load() failed to load .Rdata file in AWS-Ububtu

Christofer Bogaso bogaso.christofer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 19:54:12 CEST 2017

Hi again,

I hope this is the right place to post my question on running R within
Ubuntu, however if not, any pointer on right distribution list will be
helpful.

I am currently using R in Ubuntu which is hosted in Amazon - AWS.

I have a .Rdata file in AWS which I am trying to load in R. Used
following code, however, fails to load showing some permission issue.
However that same .Rdata file is getting loaded perfectly when I try
in my regular iOS.

Below is my code and corresponding result :

ubuntu at ip-172-31-23-148:~$ R

R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28) -- "Short Summer"

Copyright (C) 2017 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing

Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

During startup - Warning message:

Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"

> file.exists('/srv/shiny-server/Dat.Rdata')

[1] TRUE

> load('/srv/shiny-server/Dat.Rdata')

Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection

In addition: Warning message:

In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :

  cannot open compressed file '/srv/shiny-server/Dat.Rdata', probable
reason 'Permission denied'

> readRDS('/srv/shiny-server/Dat.Rdata')

Error in gzfile(file, "rb") : cannot open the connection

In addition: Warning message:

In gzfile(file, "rb") :

  cannot open compressed file '/srv/shiny-server/Dat.Rdata', probable
reason 'Permission denied'

Can someone help me to understand where it went wrong with Ubuntu? I
also tried with changing the extension from .Rdata to .RData, however
observing the same error.

Any pointer will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.