[R] R] Error message "cs_lu(A) failed: near-singular A (or out of memory)"

Keilhacker, Michael michael.keilhacker at tum.de
Mon Jun 5 12:14:59 CEST 2017

Dear Arne,

thank you very much upfront for your time that you invest in answering my question.

I'm using your systemfit R package to analyze if companies risk appetite has a relationship to their performance and how it evolves over time. We collected data for ca. 80 companies, from 6 segments over 15 years that gives us a final data set with 1,312 firm-year observations. We have set up 3 equations (based on existing SEM from literature) and experience the following:

- The systemfit package performs well when using no dummy variables (e.g. for year, segment, firm)

- When adding dummy variables (year / segment) the systemfit package still provides results; however, if we remove the segment dummy variable and add a firm dummy variable we experience the error message: "cs_lu(A) failed: near-singular A (or out of memory)"

- We also tested the systemfit package with firm and year dummy variable using a sub-sample of our data (ca. 10 companies) and the package worked without any error messages

- Afterwards we tested the systemfit package using a server (64 gb ram, 16 core,...) by applying the systemfit package again on the final data set. However, we experienced again the same error message.

We use R 3.3.2 and the systemfit package 1.1-20.

I would be very grateful if you could support us anyhow and give us a hint how we could solve the situation.

Thanks again for your help.

Warm Regards from Munich,

Michael

Michael Keilhacker, MBA, M.A.
Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Technische Universität München · TUM School of Management
Arcisstraße 21 · 80333 München · +49-163-5454918<tel:%2B49-89-289-28203> · michael.keilhacker at tum.de<mailto:christian.mandl at tum.de>
www.log.wi.tum.de<http://www.log.wi.tum.de>