[R] Question about correlation

Jim Lemon drjimlemon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 11:56:06 CEST 2017

Hi Chin Yi,
If you are trying to correlate "Health" with "Disease", i.e.

cydf<-read.table(text="OTU ID Health Disease
  Bacterial 1 0.29 0.34
  Bacterial 2 0.25 0.07
  Bacterial 3 0.06 0.06
  Bacterial 4 0.07 0.09
  Bacterial 5 0.02 0.05",
  header=TRUE)
print(cor(cydf$Health,cydf$Disease))
[1] 0.7103517

If you are getting that error, it probably means that either "Health"
or "Disease" or perhaps both have been read in as a factor. To test
this:

is.factor(cydf$Health)
[1] FALSE
> is.factor(cydf$Disease)
[1] FALSE

If either of these returns TRUE, that is almost certainly the problem.

Jim