[R] Gaussian Process Classification R packages

Gary Black gwblack001 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 02:54:51 CET 2017

As a total novice and somebody lurking in the background who doesn't have a
need to use R regularly except for a one-time project, I also am surprised
by (really mainly one or two) people who answer most posts by telling people
to do their homework, spend more time studying R, etc.  Even novices know
these things, and so those replies are totally unhelpful.

For novices who have a "one time" need to use R for a project, we cannot
spend months studying as if we were going to use it every day in our jobs.
We simply read some tutorials, some books, etc. and when we run into an
issue that we cannot resolve, we ask for help.  I thought that was what
forums such as this were about - people who voluntarily answer questions for
free because they are interested in the subject.

That said, I agree totally about the need to be clear and concise when
posting questions.  But as a novice, we sometimes are not sure exactly what
the relevant information is that is needed to answer our question.

In summary, how about cutting novices some slack?  If you don't want to
answer a post in a helpful way, then just ignore it.  You don't need to
interject yourself into every post.