[R] warnings about factor levels dropped from predict.glm

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Dec 5 22:13:03 CET 2017

Hi,

I suspect that the warning may be coming from stats::model.frame.default(), with text along the lines of:

  "contrasts dropped from factor YOUR.FACTOR.NAME due to missing levels"

You might want to see if the student has a ~/.Rprofile file that has some modified default options regarding contrasts, etc.

Check to see if there is some change/difference in the structure of the data frames in use, specifically any contrast related attributes on the relevant data frame columns that are different on the two systems. See ?str.

Have them open an R session from the macOS terminal and run R using:

  R --vanilla

to see if you get the same errors on their system. If not, it suggests that perhaps their .Rprofile file has something non-default in it, and/or perhaps there is a .RData file in their working directory that has some saved workspace objects causing a conflict, as that file will be loaded by default with a new R session.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz