[R] Creating interactive graphs and exporting to Intranet site

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 22:11:50 CEST 2017

On 22/04/2017 10:29 PM, Chris Battiston wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I’m relatively new to using R and am trying to find a way to create a series of interconnected graphs where I have a filter (either a drop down or series of checkboxes) where when an option is selected, all graphs are updated to show that group’s data.  I need to keep these graphs internal to our organization, so can’t use Shiny etc.; I am also unable to run R or other products on my server (company policy).  So, basically what I’m trying to do is create the dashboard on my desktop, export the HTML or whatever files, and post those to the Intranet.  I have tried ggvis, iplots, and a variety of other packages but I cannot seem to get them to work as i need them to.
>
> Any suggestions?  I need to present my proposed plan to the directors on Wednesday and really don’t want to use Excel for the graphs - I want this to be intuitive for them, but ensuring that the report is easily maintained and more flexible than a Pivot Table.

Given that you can't run R on the server, you would basically need to
produce all possible displays in advance, then have your web page select
which one to show based on the controls on the page. (You might be able
to show all data, then have the checkboxes set some points to be
invisible, but that gets tricky.)

The rgl package does things like that but is aimed at 3D plots; getting
it to do good looking 2D plots isn't easy.

On the other hand, this is pretty easy to do using Shiny or RStudio
Connect (a paid service, see https://www.rstudio.com/products/connect/),
which could run on your own server.  So I'd try to relax your constraints.

Duncan Murdoch