[R] Interesting quirk with fractions and rounding

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Sat Apr 22 01:57:07 CEST 2017

On 04/21/2017 02:03 PM, (Ted Harding) wrote:
> [...]
>
> Back on Dec 22, 2013, I posted a Christmas Greetings
> message to R-help:
>
>   Season's Greetings (and great news ... )!
>
> which starts:
>
>   Greetings All!
>   With the Festive Season fast approaching, I bring you joy
>   with the news (which you will surely wish to celebrate)
>   that R cannot do arithmetic!
>
>   Usually, this is manifest in a trivial way when users report
>   puzzlement that, for instance,
>
>     sqrt(pi)^2 == pi
>     # [1] FALSE
>
>   which is the result of a (generally trivial) rounding or
>   truncation error:
>
>      sqrt(pi)^2 - pi
>     # [1] -4.440892e-16
>
>   But for some very simple calculations R goes off its head.
>
> And the example given is:
>
>   Consider a sequence generated by the recurrence relation
>
>     x[n+1] = 2*x[n] if 0 <= x[n] <= 1/2
>     x[n+1] = 2*(1 - x[n]) if 1/2 < x[n] <= 1
>
>   (for 0 <= x[n] <= 1).
>
>   This has equilibrium points (x[n+1] = x[n]) at x[n] = 0
>   and at x[n] = 2/3:
>
>     2/3 -> 2*(1 - 2/3) = 2/3
>
>   It also has periodic points, e.g.
>
>     2/5 -> 4/5 -> 2/5 (period 2)
>     2/9 -> 4/9 -> 8/9 -> 2/9 (period 3)
>
>   The recurrence relation can be implemented as the R function
>
>     nextx <- function(x){
>       if( (0<=x)&(x<=1/2) ) {x <- 2*x} else {x <- 2*(1 - x)}
>     }
>
>   Now have a look at what happens when we start at the equilibrium
>   point x = 2/3:
>
>     N <- 1 ; x <- 2/3
>     while(x > 0){
>       cat(sprintf("%i: %.9f\n",N,x))
>       x <- nextx(x) ; N <- N+1
>     }
>     cat(sprintf("%i: %.9f\n",N,x))
>
> For a while [run it and see!], this looks as though it's doing what
> the arithmetic would lead us to expect: the first 24 results will all
> be printed as 0.666666667, which looks fine as 2/3 to 9 places.
>
> But then the "little errors" start to creep in:
>
>   N=25: 0.666666666
>   N=28: 0.666666672
>   N=46: 0.667968750
>   N=47: 0.664062500
>   N=48: 0.671875000
>   N=49: 0.656250000
>   N=50: 0.687500000
>   N=51: 0.625000000
>   N=52: 0.750000000
>   N=53: 0.500000000
>   N=54: 1.000000000
>   N=55: 0.000000000
>
>   What is happening is that, each time R multiplies by 2, the binary
>   representation is shifted up by one and a zero bit is introduced
>   at the bottom end.
>
> At N=53, the first binary bit of 'x' is 1, and all the rest are 0,
> so now 'x' is exactly 0.5 = 1/2, hence the final two are also exact
> results; 53 is the Machine$double.digits = 53 binary places.
>
> So this normally "almost" trivial feature can, for such a simple
> calculation, lead to chaos or catastrophe (in the literal technical

The only surprise is to end up at the other equilibrium point (0),
not that the iterations didn't stabilize around or converge to
equilibrium point 2/3. That's because:

   1) You didn't start *exactly* at equilibrium point 2/3

   2) The iterating process is not supposed to converge but to diverge
      from the equilibrium point. It's its mathematical nature and has
      nothing to do with rounding errors.

So if you don't start exactly at 2/3, the iterations will take you
further apart, even on a hypothetical computer that uses exact
representation of any arbitrary real number (i.e. no rounding errors).
With such an instable algorithm, all bets are off: you can end up
to the other equilibrium point or not end up anywhere (chaos) or
hit a periodic point and go in cycles from there.

But hey, shouldn't people examine the mathematical properties of
their iterative numerical algorithms before implementing them? Like
convergence, stability etc...

H.

> For more detail, including an extension of the above, look at the
> original posting in the R-help archives for Dec 22, 2013:
>
>   From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at wlandres.net>
>   Subject: [R] Season's Greetings (and great news ... )!
>   Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 09:59:16 -0000 (GMT)
>
> (Apologies, but I couldn't track down the URL for this posting
> in the R-help archives; there were a few follow-ups).
>
> I gave this as an example to show that the results of the "little"
> arithmetic errors (such as have recently been discussed from many
> aspects) can, in certain contexts, destroy a computation.
>
> So be careful to consider what can happen in the particular
> context you are working with.
>
> There are ways to dodge the issue -- such as using the R interface
> to the 'bc' calculator, which computes arithmetic expressions in
> a way which is quite different from the fixed-finite-length binary
> representation and algorithms used, not only by R, but also by many
> other numerical computation software suites
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Ted.

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology