[R] Interesting quirk with fractions and rounding

George Trojan - NOAA Federal george.trojan at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 21 17:54:37 CEST 2017

The subject is messy. I vaguely remember learning this stuff on my
first numerical analysis course over 40 years ago. The classic
reference material (much newer, only 25 years old) is:
What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point
Arithmetic, David Goldberg, ACM Computing Surveys, Vol 23, No 1, 1991.
Available here:  http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.22.6768

George

I suggest you read some basic books on numerical analysis and/or talk

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com
>* We all agree it is a problem with digital computing, not unique to R. I
*>* don't think that is the right place to stop.
*>>* What to do? The round example arose in a real funded project where 2 R
*>* programs differed in results and cause was  that one person got 57 and
*>* another got 58. The explanation was found, but its less clear how to
*>* prevent similar in future. Guidelines, anyone?
*>>* So far, these are my guidelines.
*>>* 1. Insert L on numbers to signal that you really mean INTEGER. In R,
*>* forgetting the L in a single number will usually promote whole calculation
*>* to floats.
*>* 2. S3 variables are called 'numeric' if they are integer or double storage.
*>* So avoid "is.numeric" and prefer "is.double".
*>* 3. == is a total fail on floats
*>* 4. Run print with digits=20 so we can see the less rounded number. Perhaps
*>* start sessions with "options(digits=20)"
*>* 5. all.equal does what it promises, but one must be cautious.
*>>* Are there math habits we should follow?
*>>* For example, Is it generally true in R that (100*x)/y is more accurate than
*>* 100*(x/y), if x > y?   (If that is generally true, couldn't the R
*>* interpreter do it for the user?)
*>>* I've seen this problem before. In later editions of the game theory program
*>* Gambit, extraordinary effort was taken to keep values symbolically as
*>* integers as long as possible. Avoid division until the last steps. Same in
*>* Swarm simulations. Gary Polhill wrote an essay about the Ghost in the
*>* Machine along those lines, showing accidents from trusting floats.
*>>* I wonder now if all uses of > or < with numeric variables are suspect.
*>>* Oh well. If everybody posts their advice, I will write a summary.
*>>* Paul Johnson
*>* University of Kansas
*>>* On Apr 21, 2017 12:02 AM, "PIKAL Petr" <petr.pikal at precheza.cz
*>>>* Hi
*>>>>* The problem is that people using Excel or probably other such
spreadsheets
*>>* do not encounter this behaviour as Excel silently rounds all your
*>>* calculations and makes approximate comparison without telling it does so.
*>>* Therefore most people usually do not have any knowledge of floating point
*>>* numbers representation.
*>>>>*  Cheers
*>>* Petr