[R] How to use predict() so that one retains the rows that they're associated with?

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Thu Oct 20 15:20:29 CEST 2016

One additional issue, since you are using logistic regression, you are predicting a dichotomy (i.e. 0 and 1 or factor with 2 categories). The value returned by predict() is a log odds ratio of belonging in the second category. Alternatively if you use the type="response" argument with predict(), you get the estimated probability of being in the second category. You can use ifelse() to convert the fitted values back to your original categories, but you must decide where to break the values (.5 is an obvious choice for the probabilities or 0 for the log odds, but these are not always the best).

There are a number of tutorials on the web that discuss logistic regression. You should look at one of them.

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352