[R] MDS, line of best fit, and id of variables

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Tue Oct 18 21:50:55 CEST 2016

You do not need to change it to numeric if it is integer. But if you want to change it, you need to follow the example I included and use sapply().

Here is my effort to replicate your error. Since I'm using random data, it fails to converge, but I do not get the error message you are getting. This is the best I can do since you have not given us reproducible data.

> set.seed(42)
> mortdata <- data.frame(matrix(sample(0:1, 28*27, replace=TRUE), 28, 27))
> dim(mortdata)
[1] 28 27
> library(vegan)
This is vegan 2.4-1
> sapply(mortdata, type)
Error in match.fun(FUN) : object 'type' not found
> sapply(mortdata, class)  # Is everything numeric (which includes integer)?
       X1        X2        X3        X4        X5        X6        X7        X8        X9
"integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer"
      X10       X11       X12       X13       X14       X15       X16       X17       X18
"integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer"
      X19       X20       X21       X22       X23       X24       X25       X26       X27
"integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer" "integer"
> mortdata.mds <- metaMDS(mortdata)
. . . Many messages
... New best solution
... Procrustes: rmse 0.07861438  max resid 0.2210256
Run 18 stress 0.277969
Run 19 stress 0.2633298
Run 20 stress 0.2838487
*** No convergence -- monoMDS stopping criteria:
    20: stress ratio > sratmax

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University