[R] How to get bathymetry data using R

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal roy.mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Sat Jun 11 18:09:18 CEST 2016

Use the “rerddap” package that accesses our ERDDAP server.  You can see the data available at:

http://upwell.pfeg.noaa.gov/erddap

In the search box type in “bathymetry”.    You can subset as you want, using “rerddap” you get back a netcdf file that is already read into your R workspace,  or you can write your own 2 lines of code  (since the URL completely defines the request) and get the data back in any number of file formats.  I don’t want to get into a format war, but for large gridded datasets like this I much prefer netcdf files.

If you have any questions at all about either the “rerddap” package  (developed by the wonderful people at ROpenSci) or about our ERDDAP service, don’t hesitate to ask.

-Roy

> On Jun 11, 2016, at 12:30 AM, Michael Sumner <mdsumner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 at 15:43 javad bayat <j.bayat194 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear R users;
>> I am searching for a package to extract bathymetry data from topography map
>> to produce the control file for CE-Qual-w2 model.
>> Is there anyone to know how to do it?
>> many thanks.
>>

> There are few things around but I highly recommend find your own data
> source, suitable for your purpose - and reading it directly with the raster
> package.  If anyone knows a reliable source I'd like to hear it.
>
> As a global go-to I use Etopo1, but you may want some more detailed (like
> Gebco 2014) or a non-global one. (I can't tell where you need this for or
> what resolution would be suitable from what you've asked though).
>
> (The best format when you get a choice generally is GeoTIFF, but it depends
> who creates them. I tend to use the NetCDF files from Etopo).
>
> Raster uses rgdal for many formats, but ncdf4 exclusively for NetCDF - if
> it's not called "*.nc" you can get around that).
>
> Cheers, Mike.
>

>> --
>> Best Regards
>> Javad Bayat