[R] How to get bathymetry data using R

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 09:30:34 CEST 2016

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 at 15:43 javad bayat <j.bayat194 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear R users;
> I am searching for a package to extract bathymetry data from topography map
> to produce the control file for CE-Qual-w2 model.
> Is there anyone to know how to do it?
> many thanks.

There are few things around but I highly recommend find your own data
source, suitable for your purpose - and reading it directly with the raster
package.  If anyone knows a reliable source I'd like to hear it.

As a global go-to I use Etopo1, but you may want some more detailed (like
Gebco 2014) or a non-global one. (I can't tell where you need this for or
what resolution would be suitable from what you've asked though).

(The best format when you get a choice generally is GeoTIFF, but it depends
who creates them. I tend to use the NetCDF files from Etopo).

Raster uses rgdal for many formats, but ncdf4 exclusively for NetCDF - if
it's not called "*.nc" you can get around that).

Cheers, Mike.