[R] Antwort: Re: Unable to update R software to 3.3.0

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Jun 1 19:22:28 CEST 2016

> On Jun 1, 2016, at 12:02 PM, G.Maubach at weinwolf.de wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I did it today on Debian GNU Linux 8 Jessie this way:
>
> vim /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://cran.uni-muenster.de/bin/linux/debian jessie-cran3
> ESC;:wq
>
> apt.get update
> apt-get install r-base r-base-dev
>
> This worked for me.
>
> When installing R packages from within R I found that R needed the
> following:
>
> apt-get install libssl-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libhunspell-dev
> libxml2-dev
>
> You probably might to wish to install this also.
>
> HTH.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Georg

Georg,

As Sunish noted in his post, he is using Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), which is an RPM based Linux distribution, as opposed to Debian and it's derivatives like Ubuntu, which use different pre-compiled binaries (.Deb).

Your ability to upgrade on Debian is not relevant to his issue, as a completely different infrastructure (RPM based repositories) is required for RHEL if one wishes to install pre-compiled binaries, as opposed to building from source, which is also an option if one wishes.

Regards,

Marc