[R] intersection of two polygons which are not shapefiles

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Mon Jul 18 16:47:20 CEST 2016

> I have two sets of points for which I've already determined which ones points
> for the boundaries with the chull function.  What I need for what I'm doing is
> the coordinates where the two resulting polygons overlap.

There's a relevant answer on mathoverflow that might help if you're thinking of writing code: see
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/130577/how-to-find-overlap-between-two-convex-hulls-along-with-the-overlap-area.

The other 'obvious' approach is to find one of the various shapefile packages in R, convert your chull to such an object and use something like gIntersection() from rgeos or intersect from raster (see http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/140504/extracting-intersection-areas-in-r)

S Ellison