[R] intersection of two polygons which are not shapefiles

Adrienne Wootten amwootte at ncsu.edu
Mon Jul 18 15:16:48 CEST 2016

All,

Greetings! I hope things are going well for all!  I apologize if someone's
already answered this and I'm just not finding it.  Here's what I'd like to
do, but I'm hitting a brick wall with it.

I have two sets of points for which I've already determined which ones
points for the boundaries with the chull function.  What I need for what
I'm doing is the coordinates where the two resulting polygons overlap.
These are not raster grids, nor shapefiles.  What I have to work with are
the two data frames with the points at the vertices of each polygon
(included below).

> chx1
              x          y
1  0.5822569 -0.5555878
2  0.5338428 -0.5883604
3 -0.3442943 -0.6701115
4  -0.7409293  0.2286962
5  0.2147221  0.8061485
6  0.4914146  0.4941865
7  0.5822569 -0.5555878

> chx2
              x          y
1  0.7163506 -0.4357497
2  0.6513128 -0.5395180
3   0.1818315 -0.6317423
4  -0.6394281 -0.5765610
5 -0.6044681  0.1831627
6 -0.5799485  0.3231473
7  0.2248476  0.9601908
8  0.7163506 -0.4357497

If anyone has any ideas on how to get what I'm after I'd appreciate it!
I've tried a lot of things from the raster, rgeos, and more.  Knowing me
it's something obvious I'm just not seeing right now.

Thanks all!
Adrienne

--
Adrienne Wootten
Ph.D Candidate / Graduate Research Assistant