[R] Troubleshooting Type III SS and drop1()

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 05:43:12 CEST 2016

Omg omg! Search  on "type III as R good or bad" or similar for why you
should of should not be doing this. As for your specific question, I doubt
that you'll get a useful reply until you post the code that elicited the
error. Maybe not even then if it is due to estimability/overfitting of your
data.
And that you cannot obtain an aic seems unsurprising, as you said you
cannot fit the model and so cannot get a likelihood and so cannot possibly
obtain a penalized likelihood.

Or do I misunderstand? If so, please ignore. If not, my best advice would
be to ignore all this SS business altogether and talk with a local
statistician about how or if your data might answer scientific questions of
interest.

Cheers,
Bert