[R] Survival::coxph (clogit), survConcordance vs. summary(fit) concordance

Joe Ceradini joeceradini at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:29:04 CET 2016

Thanks Terry!

I thought that since I was providing survConcordance with the model object
that the same formula would be applied. But I was obviously wrong. I just
ran survConcordance with the addition of the strata argument, as you
suggested, and got the same answer as summary(fit)....with the same scary
SE.

This is a wildlife habitat selection analysis. Each individual animal has
habitat features that they used (1) and habitat that was available but that
they did not use (0). The habitat that is available is different for each
individual, hence the need for strata(ID of individual). However, all the
habitat data are collected from multiple discrete sites and each site has
multiple individuals on it. For all these analyses of these data, I've
assumed that individuals within a site may be more correlated than
individuals between sites, hence addition of cluster(site).

I was able recalculate the same concordance estimate as summary(fit) by
estimating predicted probabilities using:
risk <- predict(fit, type='risk')
risk / (1+risk)
And then used a probability cut-off of 0.5 for whether an observed point
was correctly classified, which returned the same 0.76 as the concordance
estimate.
So, can I just think of this concordance as a classification table (or
confusion matrix) with a 0.5 threshold (thus classification error would be
(1 - 0.76)?
Was I mistaken in thinking concordance was more akin to AUC in
unconditional logistic regression?

Thanks.
Joe