[R] Survival::coxph (clogit), survConcordance vs. summary(fit) concordance

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Jan 21 16:01:51 CET 2016

I read the digest form which puts me behind, plus the last 2 days have been solid meetings
with an external advisory group so I missed the initial query.   Three responses.

1. The clogit routine sets the data up properly and then calls a stratified Cox model.  If
you want the survConcordance routine to give the same answer, it also needs to know about
the strata
     survConcordance (Surv(rep(1, 76L), resp) ~ predict(fit) + strata(ID), data=dat)
I'm not surprised that you get a very different answer with/without strata.

2. I've never thought of using a robust variance for the matched case/control model.  I'm
having a hard time wrapping my head around what you would expect that to accomplish
(statistically).  Subjects are already matched on someone from the same site, so where
does a per-site effect creep in?  Assuming there is a good reason and I just don't see it
(not an unwarranted assumption), I'm not aware of any work on what an appropriate variance
would be for the concordance in that case.

3. I need to think about the large variance issue.

Terry Therneau