[R] different coloured axis title labels for different axes

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 19:08:03 CET 2016

> On Jan 11, 2016, at 7:44 AM, Evan Cooch <evan.cooch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Consider a simple plot of X vs Y.  There are elements on the plot that
> represent X, or Y, that are presented in different colours (say, blue
> for X,   red for Y). Rather than use a legend, I would like to have the
> title label for the X-axis be in blue, and the title label for the
> Y-axis be in red.
>
> While it is trivial to change the color of the axis title labels for
> *both* axes at the same time, I haven't figured out how to trick thing
> into generating a blue title label for the X-axis, and a red title label
> for the Y- axis (i.e., different colours on different axes).
>
> I'm sure this is out there on searchable pages, but, I haven't managed
> to stumble across the appropriate search phrase(s).

Suppress the 'label' production for both x-axis and y-axis "titles" (by assigning them to "") and then use the `title` function (twice) to separately construct your colored labels. I had difficulty learning that the term "label" in hte plot-function documentation referred only to the single valued axis title and not to the multiple numeric or text axis annotations at the tick marks. The word "lable" is used to refer to both sets of values..

> Pointers to the obvious solution welcomed in advance.
>

> Cheers....
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Plain text.