[R] receiving Error: unexpected '='

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 10:43:06 CET 2016

Your syntax on the 'if' is wrong; you need 'if (..expression..)' -- you are
missing the parentheses.  Also read up on functions; any changes are local
-- you cannot change values outside the environment.  You should just
return values.  You also probably need to pass in the dataframe you want to
make changes to.

Probably what you want is:

new_week <- function(df, x, y){
   # x & y are character strings with the names of the columns to
check/change
   df[[x]][is.na(df[[x]])] <- df[[y]][is.na(df[[x]])]
   df  # return value
}

# then call with assignment of the result
df <- new_week(df, 'wk5', 'wk4')

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru