[R] Mailing List

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:38:29 CEST 2016

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 06:58 , Ogbos Okike <giftedlife2014 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
> I am using R to do my work and thank you very much for developing,
> maintaining and making such excellent software available to anyone
> that is interested enough to ask for it.
>
> I have registered at Nabble. I was wondering the right forum for me
> to send my help request. I have tried sending to R-help at r-project.org.
> However, I do receive a kind of warning email stating that my email
> awaits approval from the moderator since I am a non-member posting to
> membership email.

If you send to r-help at r-project.org and just wait for a moderator to approve your post, it will get here eventually. r-help-request is a dead end.

However, the canonical way is to subscribe to the mailing list. You do this using the link in the footer  (same one as for unsubscribing). Notice that you can select to get the list in digest format (1 mail per day) or - as I think most do - set up a filter rule in your mail reader to send messages to a separate mailbox.

It is somewhat unfortunate that we have had to make unmoderated posting members-only, but the amount of spam from non-member accounts is overwhelming and the spam filters would inevitably let some false negatives through. (Even member messages get held for approval from time to time due to false positives in the filters.)

The Nabble interface was made unidirectional some months ago. This happened because too many people didn't understand the differences between a forum and a mailing list.

-pd