[R] Error messages when start first time R: "You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII characters will work."

Ole C. Brudvik olebrudvik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:47:11 CEST 2016

Hi!
I just started this course and just installed R and RStudio but I got this warning/error messages when I open R and RStudio:

During startup - Warning messages:

1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"

2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"

3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"

4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"

5: Setting LC_MONETARY failed, using "C"

[R.app GUI 1.67 (7152) x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0]

WARNING: You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII characters will work.

Please read R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9 and adjust your system preferences accordingly.

Section 9 is just Acknowledgements so I cant find the help the software refer to.

Please, can anyone help me with this? It seems important to get this fixed before I do work with RStudio.

Thanks a lot! Appreciate very much any help.

Cheers

Ole