[R] Extending the beta period for R 3.3.0 till April 25, Final release on May 3

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:05:05 CEST 2016

On 02/04/2016 11:58 AM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Due to delays in implementing an updated Windows toolchain for CRAN, R Core has found it unsafe to go with our usual 1-week beta testing period. Combined with other scheduling issues, we have decided to postpone the transition to 3.3.0 RC until April 26, with the final release happening on May 3.
>
> Apologies for any inconvenience, but it is really rather important to get this right before the release of 3.3.0. One cannot mix and match binaries from different toolchains - CRAN packages binaries for 3.3.x must be all of the same kind. Accordingly, if we have too little time to fix issues discovered in the beta period, we might have to back out and be stuck with the old tools for another year.
>
> Web site updates will happen shortly.

I have  finally added a public link to the binary build of the 3.3.0
beta.  (It may take a few hours before it makes it to the visible
machines on CRAN.)  It will work with binary builds of many packages,
but definitely not with those that use C++ unless they were built with
the same toolchain.

In case you want to get it before the link is visible, here it is on one
mirror:

http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/base/rtest.html

Duncan Murdoch