[R] R applications deployment models?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:33:05 CEST 2015

On 28/09/2015 4:23 AM, Ali M. wrote:
> I am new to R
> And while learning the language inside the dev tools is easy and fun
>
> I wonder how R applications are deployed and distributed to the typical
> business users

Typically as web applications, rather than standalone executables.

> I searched online of course and found some commercial options
> The revolution r enterprise platform
> Shiny r server from the makers of r-studio
> There was also a video on youtube about a company wrapping their R
> application in tcl/tk gui apps
>
> But what else is available, what are the best practices ? is there free
> alternatives to the commercial options i mentioned above?

Shiny is free.  You can pay them to run the server hosting your
application and give you access to support, but you don't need to do
that if you don't mind running it yourself and asking the community for
help.  I'm not familiar with the others.

Duncan Murdoch