[R] JSONlite import problem

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:52:17 CEST 2015

On 23/10/2015 3:44 PM, K. Elo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have collected 500.000+ tweets with a Python script using 'tweepy',
> which stored the data in JSON format. I would like to use R for data
> analysis, but have encountered problems when trying to import the data
> file with 'jsonlite'.
>
> Here what I have tried:
>
>   > data.df<-fromJSON("example.json")
> Error in feed_push_parser(readBin(con, raw(), n), reset = TRUE) :
>     parse error: trailing garbage
>             stamp_ms":"1436705823768"}   {"created_at":"Sun Jul 12 12:57
>                        (right here) ------^
>
> The import fails already on the first line :( A sample file causing this
> error is attached.
>
> I have tried several solutions, e.g. this:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26519455/error-parsing-json-file-with-the-jsonlite-package
>
> but it does not work and results in the same error.
>
> Could anyone help me to understand what is causing the error and how to
> solve the issue? Thanks in advance.

It looks like it's the same sort of problem as in that stackoverflow
posting:  what's in your file is not valid Javascript, so it's not valid
JSON.  It's probably multiple JSON objects without proper separators;
you need to do the separating yourself.

BTW, your attachment failed; only some file types are allowed.  You
should probably put the file online somewhere and post the URL.

Duncan Murdoch