[R] Problems installing biocLite on Fedora 23

Morgan, Martin Martin.Morgan at roswellpark.org
Mon Nov 23 12:52:15 CET 2015

This is in reference to Bioconductor, and should be addressed to the Bioconductor support site

  https://support.bioconductor.org

The problem is not with biocLite per se, but with installation of Rsamtools.

My guess is that Rsamtools wraps a library 'samtools', and tries to re-map samtool's use of stderr and friends to R. The implementation requires use of -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE (undefine the _FORTIFY_SOURCE symbol when compiling), but unfortunately (or otherwise, depending on your level of paranoia) recent Fedora re-defines the symbol. A rough work-around might be to use the clang compiler, e.g., editing a file ~/.R/Makevars to contain something like the line

   CC=clang

When posting to the support site, please provide the full output of

  biocLite("Rsamtools")

as well as the output from the command line of

  gcc --version

Martin