[R] Problem with particular file in XML package?

Gen alamesa2012 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 04:42:16 CEST 2015

Keith Jewell-2 wrote
> The OP asked "Has anyone else had trouble with the XML package lately
> and if so, how did you resolve it?"
>
> For what it's worth...
>
> I failed to install XML using install() with the defaults; I can't
> remember the exact error message, something about access denied.
>
> Downloading XML_3.98-1.1.zip with Internet Explorer
> <http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.2/XML_3.98-1.1.zip>
> gave a more informative error:
> ========================
> Threat Source: http://cran.r-project.or...trib/3.2/XML_3.98-1.1.zip
>
> The file requested could not be scanned by Sophos Anti-Virus. This means
> it could be encrypted or may contain errors that prevent full scanning.
> As a result, the file was blocked from downloading.
> =====================
> ... so my access was blocked by our systems anti-virus.
>
> Our IT people bypassed the anti-virus to download the zip from which I
> successfully installed.
>
> I note that in the library as installed there is a file
>     ...\XML\exampleData\dtd.zip
> Double-clicking in Windows Explorer gives an error:
> =========
> Windows cannot open the folder. The Compressed (zipped) Folder ... is
> invalid.
> =========
>
> I speculate that Sophos Anti-Virus could not scan dtd.zip because it
> tried to open it as a zipped folder and failed. I don't know if it
> really is a zipped folder or if that's just its name :-O

Thanks a bunch; I suspect something similar to the Sophos Anti-Virus
detection is happening at my workplace that results in the XML package being
blocked.  I am one step removed from the installation process there (also
the reason why I am working with R version 3.1.2) -- the frustrating thing
is that I am able to download and get everything working correctly at home.
Knowing that your IT folks had to bypass the anti-virus software to get it
installed gives me some additional info. to try to resolve this issue.  I am
wondering if the package maintainer or others might be able to modify
dtd.zip?

> On 28/05/2015 07:38, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> This really should have been sent to the package maintainer.

Yes, I actually sent an email to the package maintainer on May 21 but
figured I would try the R help forum as well.