[R] Minimum system requirements for running R on a Windows PC

Fri Jan 9 22:56:18 CET 2015

This is a very hard question to answer. I can "run" R on my phone, but I cannot do my normal work with it there. R is likely to run on most computers to some degree... and cloud computing (e.g. parallel package with Amazon virtual computers) can be used to do what your laptop cannot do.

4-8GB of RAM should do almost any examples you need to do for a class.

Note that a netbook usually has a single processor... one nice solution if you find yourself compute-limited is to use the parallel package on your own computer to exercise the multiple processors available on most standard laptops. That would not be an option on most netbooks (though using external computing facilities is still an option... you just have to fall back on external resources sooner with a netbook).
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing