[R] Creating Volatile Table in Teradata using RODBC

John Smith jSmith.Coursera at outlook.com
Sun Feb 15 10:48:56 CET 2015

Hi All

I'm trying to use R to create a temporary table in Teradata and then add
rows from data frame into the temporary volatile table in R

Based on the code below (I have changed the SQL slightly), I am able to
create the temporary table in my spool space but when I try add the data
frame mydata to it, R tells me it cannot find the table

My assumption here is that it is looking for the "real" table as opposed to
the temp table in spool space. Can anyone see the problem?

# RShowDoc("teradataR", package="teradataR") - Manual

#RShowDoc("RODBC", package="RODBC")

library(RODBC)

library(teradataR)

# Import Data From Text File and remove duplicates

mydata = read.table("c:/Users/user/Desktop/ Keys.txt")

mydata.unique = unique(mydata)

# Create SQL for Temp Table in Teradata

strSQL.TempTable = "CREATE VOLATILE TABLE TEMP_Keys (keys VARCHAR (39))
UNIQUE PRIMARY INDEX(key) ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS;"

# Connect To Teradata DB

channel <- odbcConnect('DB')

# Execute Temp Table

sqlQuery(channel, paste(strSQL.TempTable))

sqlUpdate(channel, mydata, tablename = "TEMP_Keys", fast = TRUE)

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

KEYWORDS: Volatile, SQL, R, RODBC, teradataR

REF:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24740751/error-with-creating-volatile-tab
le-in-teradata