[R] issue with package updates

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Apr 18 03:42:21 CEST 2015

See below.

On 18/04/15 12:04, Jim Lemon wrote:

> Hi Iryna,
> The two paths seem to be a "user" path (one beneath your home
> directory) and a "system" path (one in another branch of the directory
> tree). You usually have to have superuser privileges to write files in
> the second. In most *NIX systems you use "su" to become "root" (the
> superuser), and if you can do this, then perform the update.

Jim:

(1) The OP seems to be using a Mac OSX system (which has Unix underlying
a great deal of gloppedy obfuscating point-and-click crap).

(2) My reading of the help for install.packages() leads me to believe
that by default the requested package should be installed into the
*first* entry of .libPaths(), whence no superuser privileges should be
required.  It is mysterious to me why the system seems to be intent on
using the *second* entry of .libPaths() so that superuser privileges
*are* required.

(3) Since this is Mac OSX stuff, the OP might get better mileage by
posting on R-Sig-Mac.

cheers,

Rolf

--