[R] Affinity Analysis at Product Category Level

anshuji sudhanshu.d at sonata-software.com
Tue Sep 9 07:57:47 CEST 2014

Hi - Need help to do product affinity analysis for a Retailer. Products are categorized into categories such as say Baby Care, Male Hair Care, Female Hair Care etc. I can do affinity analysis at the product level using Apriori algorithm. I get the support, confidence and lift and using this I get the product affinity.

My objective is to tell that buying a product from say Category A means that there is chance that products from Category B also will be bought. However, I might not be able to apply same principle that I applied for individual products to Product Categories also. The reason is that in a customer's basket, there can be say 5 products of say Category A and just 1 product of category B, and in another transaction there might be 10 Category products and 4 Category B products and in another there might be 2 products of Categories A and B. There can be a similar imbalance across categories across transactions. In such a scenario, how do we perform affinity analysis.

Thanks in advance

Disclaimer: "The materials contained in this email and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system. Sonata is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt"