[R] lattice add a fit

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 18:29:48 CEST 2014

On Oct 7, 2014, at 9:15 PM, Duncan Mackay wrote:

I'm a tad puzzled by the comments about needing to build a panel function for locfit. The various plot.locfit functions are actually lattice calls.

locfit:::panel.locfit  # already exists, and even has versions for 1d, 2d and 3d purposes.

And there is a llines.locfit function that will add locfit smooths to existing lattice plots.

It's a very simple function and could easily be modified to any regression method that has a predict functions:

> locfit:::llines.locfit
function (x, m = 100, tr = x$trans, ...)
{
    newx <- lfmarg(x, m = m)[[1]]  # probably need to modify to your purposes
    y <- predict(x, newx, tr = tr)
    llines(newx, y, ...)
}
<environment: namespace:locfit>

--
David

> You will have to make your own panel function for locfit if you want to use
> it
> I have done it in the past - read the help for
> library(locfit)
> ?plot.locfit
> and the links
> ?lattice::prepanel