[R] seeking latex peace

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Tue May 27 15:06:24 CEST 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014 14:01:56 +1000 Jim Lemon <jim at bitwrit.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 May 2014 09:43:45 AM Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Though, I have to say I don't quite see how you managed to install R
> > without the above package (it is a required dependency on Fedora).
> > Hope the above helps!
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Ranjan
> >
> Hi Ranjan,
> As I always install R from source, I didn't have the assistance of the
> Fedora repositories. This is mainly due to the lofty admonitions to
> package maintainers to always have the most recent version of R.
> However, I will certainly consider this. Thanks.

Hello again, Jim:

I don't know about the "lofty admonitions to package maintainers" that
you talk about -- I have not had much reason to in the past -- but if
you want to have the latest bleeding-edge software for anything, you can
get it from Fedora's rawhide repo. Alternatively, you can file a bug
report on Bugzilla requesting an updated version (and test from the
using the updates-testing repo and give feedback). One benefit of all
this is that typically solid packages get installed on your system. R
3.1. went through 5 updates (and fixes) on updates-testing before being
moved to the (stable) updates repository for downloading by all.

HTH,
Ranjan