[R] seeking latex peace

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon May 26 16:43:45 CEST 2014

Hi,

> As I could not find any way to install pdflatex (it didn't appear on a yum
> search), I tried a method that claimed to install pdflatex via a package

Trying

yum provides */pdflatex

will yield the package name:

texlive-latex-bin-bin.

Though, I have to say I don't quite see how you managed to install R
without the above package (it is a required dependency on Fedora). Next
time, unless you have already done os, install R from the distribution
repositories installing:

yum install R.

> named "texlive". Almost 300 packages later and minus over 300 Mb of
> disk space, I then got the error:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `zi4.sty' not found.

yum provides */zi4.sty

will yield the package name:

texlive-inconsolata

> This seems to be an updated version of the "inconsolata.sty" error that
> used to torment me (and after reading a lot of messages about this,
> many other people as well), so I found the file "zi4.sty" and copied it into
> what I thought was the appropriate directory. It seems to be, as I now get
> the error:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `upquote.sty' not found.

yum provides */upquote.sty

will yield the package name:

texlive-upquote

So yum install each of the above will take care of your woes rather
cleanly.

> At this point, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to inform me
> whether this is a potentially infinite task of finding ".sty" files, in which
> case I will live without them, or if there is an easier method of satisfying
> the apparently immense appetite of LaTeX? Thanks.

Hope the above helps!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

> R-3.1.0
> Fedora 19
>
> Jim

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use
appropriate addresses.