[R] seeking latex peace

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Sun May 25 12:17:55 CEST 2014

Hi all,
I realize that this is not an R question, but in attempting to build a new
version of a package, I have encountered the error:

Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet = quiet,  :
  pdflatex is not available

As I could not find any way to install pdflatex (it didn't appear on a yum
search), I tried a method that claimed to install pdflatex via a package
named "texlive". Almost 300 packages later and minus over 300 Mb of
disk space, I then got the error:

! LaTeX Error: File `zi4.sty' not found.

This seems to be an updated version of the "inconsolata.sty" error that
used to torment me (and after reading a lot of messages about this,
many other people as well), so I found the file "zi4.sty" and copied it into
what I thought was the appropriate directory. It seems to be, as I now get
the error:

! LaTeX Error: File `upquote.sty' not found.

At this point, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to inform me
whether this is a potentially infinite task of finding ".sty" files, in which
case I will live without them, or if there is an easier method of satisfying
the apparently immense appetite of LaTeX? Thanks.

R-3.1.0
Fedora 19

Jim