[R] binary to R object

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 22:14:27 CEST 2014

What type actually is 'binary' here?  We cannot tell, as writeBin will
handle many types.

If 'binary' means a raw vector, two ways:

1) Use load() on a raw connection (see ?rawConnection).

2) Make use of the information in ?readRDS.  You can read the header
from save() format by skipping the first 5 bytes, then call
unserialize() on the rest of the raw vector.  (If the save was
compressed, you need to handle decompression too: see ?memCompress.)

If you want more help, heed the footer of this and every R-help message
and provide a complete reproducible example.