[R] XLConnect on Linux Mint Maya

Keith S Weintraub kw1958 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:19:33 CEST 2014

John Et Al.

I can get rJava and XLConnect to work only if I run as super user.

Note that I have built rJava and XLConnect as super user (otherwise neither package works).

Without sudo

> require(XLConnect)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
  error: unable to load shared object '/home/refserv/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/rJava/libs/rJava.so':
  libjvm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
With sudo

 > require(XLConnect)
XLConnect 0.2-7 by Mirai Solutions GmbH
http://www.mirai-solutions.com ,
http://miraisolutions.wordpress.com

Note that I have changed the ownership (recursively) for rJava and XLConnect because they were previously owned by root. Also note that ggplot2 (included for comparison) was installed the usual way with no problem.

drwxr-xr-x 11 refserv refserv 4096 Jul 24 14:07 ggplot2/
drwxr-xr-x 10 refserv refserv 4096 Jul 29 08:28 rJava/
drwxr-xr-x 11 refserv refserv 4096 Jul 29 10:09 XLConnect/

Despite "no such file or directory" above:

/home/refserv/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/rJava $ ls -altr /home/refserv/>
-rwxr-xr-x 1 refserv refserv 273489 Jul 29 08:28 /home/refserv/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/rJava/libs/rJava.so

The file rJava.so exists.

Thanks so much for your time and help,
Best,
KW