[R] XLConnect on Linux Mint Maya

Keith S Weintraub kw1958 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 03:36:41 CEST 2014

Folks,

I have been trying to get XLConnect to work on my Linux Mint Maya machine.

R works fine but this package doesn't seem to want to build. Here is the message I get after supposedly building XLConnect and rJava:

>> require(XLConnect)
> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
>  call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
>  error: unable to load shared object '/home/refserv/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/rJava/libs/rJava.so':
>  libjvm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I purged the openJDK and downloaded the 1.7.0_65 JDK form Oracle.

The build and the compile seemed to work ok as there were no errors. For example I can generate ggplot2 graphs.

I know this is probably the wrong forum but if someone could gently point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

Thanks so much for your time,
KW