[R] Cutting hierarchical cluster tree at specific height fails

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Tue Jul 15 19:11:59 CEST 2014

I believe you can accomplish this without modifying cutree by analyzing the cluster heights before calling cutree. First generate the data setting the random seed so we are all looking at the same thing:

set.seed(42)
x <- c(rnorm(100,50,10),rnorm(100,200,25),rnorm(100,80,15))
y <- c(rnorm(100,50,10),rnorm(100,200,25),rnorm(100,150,25))
df <- data.frame(x,y)
hc <- hclust(dist(df,method = "euclidean"), method="centroid")

Now figure where to cut the tree by finding the first place that 60 is exceeded. Because of the reversals, there could be more than one solution, so we take the one with more clusters:

hval <- 60
nclust <- (nrow(df)-1):1 # Number of clusters at each step
# Find the number of clusters that first exceeds hval
k <- max(nclust[which(diff(hc$height < hval) == -1) + 1])
df$memb <- cutree(hc, k = k)

David C