[R] Correlating multiple effect sizes within a study to study-level predictors: metafor package

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Jul 14 15:06:55 CEST 2014

Somehow that initial post slipped under the radar for me ...

Yes, I would give the same suggestion as Michael. Besides random effects for 'site', I would also suggest to add random effects for each estimates (as in a regular random-effects model). So, if you have an 'id' variable that is unique to each observed d-value, you would use:

random = list(~ 1 | site, ~ 1 | id)

with the rma.mv() function. This is in essence the model given by equation (6) in:

Nakagawa, S., & Santos, E. S. A. (2012). Methodological issues and advances in biological meta-analysis. Evolutionary Ecology, 26(5), 1253-1274.

(at the time of publication, this model could not be fitted with metafor, but it can now). Same model is described with a bit more detail in:

Konstantopoulos, S. (2011). Fixed effects and variance components estimation in three-level meta-analysis. Research Synthesis Methods, 2(1), 61-76.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology