[R] R GUI for undergraduate lab class?

Louise Stevenson louise.stevenson at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Sat Jul 12 22:47:08 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm working on a new set of simple, ecological modeling exercises for our
campus' undergraduate Introductory Biology lab series. The students work
with simple population models by looking at graphs and seeing how changing
parameter values and initial population sizes changes how the populations
fluctuate through time. Does anyone know of an existing R GUI or any other
interface that would be good for an undergraduate setting? Basically I want
something that shows the students the model's output as graphs and lets them
change parameter values but the equations/coding itself is hidden such that
they can't change any of that. I want what Populus can do (a fantastic
program written for this exact purpose, info here:
http://www.cbs.umn.edu/research/resources/populus) but I want to be able to
upload data so the students can compare model outputs to real data and I
can't figure out how to get Populus to plot data. Any help would be very
much appreciated! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Louise Stevenson
Graduate Student, University of California, Santa Barbara
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology