[R] list of valid R encodings.in source(...,encoding=)

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:06:18 CEST 2014

It's documented in the Encodings section of ?file:

"As from R 3.0.0 the encoding "UTF-8-BOM" is accepted for reading and
will remove a Byte Order Mark if present (which it often is for files
and webpages generated by Microsoft applications). If it is required
(it is not recommended) when writing it should be written explicitly,
e.g. by writeChar("\ufeff", con, eos = NULL) or
writeBin(as.raw(c(0xef, 0xbb, 0xff)), binary_con)"

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/